Friday, October 9, 2009

MLA Conference - Last Day

I am waiting for the last day of the MLA conference to start. I have to say that I am very pleased with the conference this year. I have went to some great sessions, learned some new things, and have also had some great conversations with other librarians. I have especially enjoyed the meals with other librarians and hearing the great stories.

To my friend out there who is clueless about librarians and their jobs (yes you know who you are), I think that if you attended this conference you would be in for a big shock as to the future of libraries and librarians. Yes we do know about technology, we do teach our users, and we collaborate with each other. Librarianship is so much more than checking out books and shushing people. The jokes are getting old my friend, the sad part is when you say them you really aren't joking. Well this conference has brought to light the great things that librarians are doing. Libraries are the heart of a corporation, the institution, and the community. The world may be changing, new technologies are abounding, yet the library will still be here. Maybe not in the sense that most people think of libraries, but we will still be here, we will still be instructing users, we will still be collaborating with each other, and we will be incorporating new technologies into our services to give our users what they want. This is an exciting time and I am glad to be a librarian.

No comments: